Welcome to the Forum for The Airline Project

Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Countries
I started working on the country relations and thought it would be nice to give the country borders an update.

Like Germany was named the Weimar Republic until 1933, and included parts of Poland.
And the German occupation of France during the second world war.
Or the Colonies in Africa and Asia.

I'd like to make the borders correct from 1920 on. (As I'd really like the game to start in 1920, the dawn of Commercial aviation. Smile )
I want to make the history as correct as possible, to emerge the player as much as possible in the period.

Now, my question is, how does the country-table work?
In V1 you had numbers for regions and combined them into countries where necessary, And if they split or became part of another country you just coded it so the grouping was redone at a certain time.

But this file works differently I think?
It looks like you're changing the number of the airports in a certain region.
How exactly does it work?
And what number do you use in the airports file? The number of the very first region it was part of?

Of course, this project won't be for the next update. I'm thinking about releasing this together with the historic airport data. (so prealpha 13).
For now, I'll just do the country relations for the countries in their current form.
The countries works the same way as in v1 :-)

So a country have a period and then the possibility of setting the country before the period and the one after the period.

The country for an airport should be set to one where the country is most specific. Meaning if it is an airport coming from the union of countries (like Soviet) then the country should be the specific country (like Estonia). For the german airports it means that it should be either West Germany or East Germany.
I think I actually might need to do the country borders first, because else I'll have to redo the country relations again..

I made a map of Europe (I'll make these for the entire world) that shows the current borders in red, and all possible borders from 1920 until now in black.
The grey areas don't have airports, or at least not at that time. So these areas won't need an ID.

[Image: ZunGjEv.png]

This zip file contains images for each year that had a border change:
Download

Now how would this work?
For France for example.

I'd set the ID of France from 0001 to 0001. (I assume this means all the time in your DB)
How do I let Germany take over a part of France during the second world war?
How do I let Germany take over a part of France that is Part of Italy at the time?

And I think I found a bug in the game:
If you start in 1930, Germany is called West Germany.
In the DB however, West Germany is set to start in 1949..

I'd also like a setting to ignore wars, once these borders are finished. So border changes only come into action if the war ends.
This will need some data in the DB 'Ignore war' I Assume.
This means that we need to look at all the airports in the areas where the border has changed and then update them to the new id's. It should not be that difficult we just need the data for it.

The reason for Germany being called West Germany when starting in 1930, is that when I coded it the earliest start date was 1950, so that needs to be fixed.

Quote:I'd set the ID of France from 0001 to 0001. (I assume this means all the time in your DB)

I am not sure where you have set that ID :-)

Quote:How do I let Germany take over a part of France during the second world war?
How do I let Germany take over a part of France that is Part of Italy at the time?

First we need to create a new Germany (the one until it becomes East and West Germany). Then we need to change the id of all the France airports in the German part of France to the new German id. The Italian part I haven't figured out yet, since I am afraid it will involve a lot of new temp countries :-(
(02-12-2018, 09:37 AM)pjank42 Wrote: This means that we need to look at all the airports in the areas where the border has changed and then update them to the new id's. It should not be that difficult we just need the data for it.

The reason for Germany being called West Germany when starting in 1930, is that when I coded it the earliest start date was 1950, so that needs to be fixed.

Hmm, but in the database it says West Germany exists from 1949 to 1990.
So I was assuming the game calls it Germany (which exists in the DB from 1900 to 2199) and overwrites it by the period said above?
Or does it need the Countrybefore value filled in as Germany?

Quote:
Quote:I'd set the ID of France from 0001 to 0001. (I assume this means all the time in your DB)

I am not sure where you have set that ID :-)

I meant to say to set the ID of France, and that country exists from year 0001 to year 0001.
There are a lot of countries with those year values, so I'm assuming that means the countries always exist, unless overwritten by some other data?

Quote:
Quote:How do I let Germany take over a part of France during the second world war?

First we need to create a new Germany (the one until it becomes East and West Germany). Then we need to change the id of all the France airports in the German part of France to the new German id. The Italian part I haven't figured out yet, since I am afraid it will involve a lot of new temp countries :-(

I'll be creating the new countries, no problem. Smile
I'll try to keep the current country ID's, so the current airports.xml keeps working with the database.
I'll use the new country ID's in my new airportfiles.
This means the country borders remain the same in the current game, but with the introduction of my airport data, we get the new borders. Smile

Can I fiddle around with the database for the countries, or does it require some recoding for each new/altered country?

I actually think it won't take too long. I already finished maps for all borders on all continents.
Download, if you're interested.

Can you send me the latest version of the database?
and can it include the ignore war field (true/false)?

edit: another question: What does the territoryOf do?
Are there any features linked to this?
TerritoryOf is used for ex. a lot of the Dutch constituent countries (Aruba etc.) which means that it is possible to fly from AMS to Aruba and still have it as a domestic flight. This is needed for licenses and restrictions.

If a country doesn't have a before country but still have a start date later than the start date of the game then that country will be used, which you see for Germany.

I have exported the latest list of countries into a csv-file, so I hope that is ok :-)
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1GMJlpW...WLM9H4w4pj
Oh, so you can import a part of the database without overwriting other parts? (for example airliners)
What site did you get the flags from?
I'll try to replicate the style as much as I can if the site doesn't have the historic flags. Smile
I think it was http://www.iconarchive.com/search?q=flag but I can't find them again :-)
I've been thinking about this this afternoon.
I think it would be best to give each region* an ID, and combine these regions into countries.

Then you can set somewhere:
region x is part of country y from 1920 to 1940.
region x is part of country z from 1940 to 1945.
region x is part of country y again from 1945 to 2199.

We can keep all current country IDs, and perhaps with your smart code we don't need those region IDs for all airports? (so if no region ID is set for the airport, it looks for the country ID)

*I'm not sure how we should name this, since you already use the name region for regions in the world? (like Northern Europe).